A full planning application has been submitted by HD Investments 18 for the redevelopment of 53 – 63 Carr Street. Previously occupied by Argos, the building has been vacant since the retailer left the premises in late 2019. The proposal will see the height of the building increased to 5 storeys, refurbished retail unit and 22 new residential units.
- Demolition of existing third floor and part of second floor
- Proposed rooftop extension to create a building of 5 storeys in total
- Refurbishment of ground floor retail unit
- Change of use at ground floor level to provide a gymnasium
- Change of use and conversion of first and second floors from retail to residential
- New third and fourth floors for provision of a total of 22 new residential units
- 8 one bed flats
- 14 two bed flats
- Rooftop amenity space
The building will be designed to match the context and retain the existing the material palette with the scheme being clad in red buff brick and facing concrete window surrounds with metal frames to match the existing building (image below). A 299m2 private rooftop communal space is also included in the proposal. While vehicular access is to remain for the servicing of the retail unit and gym, only 2 disabled parking bays are provided for residential use.
Images: b3 Architects